Instagrammers eat your heart out…this is one of the most photographed spots on the informal gringo trail.
Swing on a precarious, but relatively safe Tree House (Casa del Arbol) while getting some of the most epic photos of your South American travels.
Perched on a lush green hill surrounded by enthralling views, Casa del Arbol is in full sight of the looming volcano, Tungurahua. It’s fairly active, so there’s a good chance it’ll be spewing ash for you.
How to get there:
- The trek is about 7.2km and has an elevation gain of about 800 meters
- The hike begins in the southwest of town, near Misioneros Dominicanos street
- You should easily see the trailhead sign
- Bring snacks and water
- Take a taxi:
- Like the rest of South America, agree to the price before getting in the taxi
- A taxi to the top is probably your easiest method
- Take the main road of E30 and turn right just before the town of Ulba to take Via a Runtun. Follow this road up to Casa del Arbol
- Rent a Car/4-wheeler/Motorcycle/Bicycle:
- If you’re up for a little adventure, look into renting a car, 4-wheeler, motorcycle, or bicycle
- Be aware, the road up is narrow and a little bumpy, so exercise caution
- Check those brakes before ascending – hurtling downhill is a bad time to learn your brakes are shot
- Tour company:
- Lots of tour companies on offer
- Only real downside is showing up to the swing at the same time as a bunch of other people – this makes your photo opportunity a little more challenging
- Local Bus:
- The cheapest option next to hiking, this should cost you about $1
- Meet at the corner of Pastaza and Rocafuerte – Buses leave at 5.45am, 11am, 1pm, 2.15pm and 4pm BUT check with your hotel or tour agency for up to date departure times
- Takes about 1 hour